How to hook up booster cables?
The most important thing to remember is that the black on the dead car gets hooked up to something metal rather than the battery. If it is hooked up incorrectly, the computer could be blown or if the battery was frozen then it could explode.
Here is the step by step process.
First, make sure everything is turned off!
- Connect the positive cable (red)(+) to the positive post (+) of the dead battery.
- Connect the other end of the positive cable to the good battery.
- Connect the negative cable (black)(-) to the negative post of the good battery.
- Connect the negative cable to a metal part of the dead vehicles engine. Do not attach the negative cable to the negative post.
- Get in your vehicle and start it up. Once it is started, disconnect the cables in the reverse order.
Good booster cables should cost more than $30.00. Here is a tip….if you are going to park your car you should either pull through the spot or back into it. So if you accidentally left your head lights on it will be easier to get at the battery. See my story below :)
If you are broke down on the side of the road what seat in the vehicle should you sit in? Answer: passenger seat! You want a potential “bad” person to think that someone has gone to get help for you. You might also want to put your cell phone up to your ear so it looks like you are talking to someone.